Satire in the Age of Letters and Technology- more than just a pinch of it.
“As you know, the government takes 40 percent of what you make. The other 60 percent, of course, taken by the fuel gas stations.” – Jay Leno.
This is one of the many jokes doing the rounds when it comes to the issue of fuel price hike. But how far will it go? There shall be a dearth of jokes on the same but the problem, as it seems, shall never come to an end.
“Hike in fuel prices again”, “Rising prices troubles citizens across the nation”-such headlines do not shock anymore. Fuel prices rise to Rupees five one day and drop by a Rupee the next day. Reasons for the fluctuating price vary every time it rises. The government says it is because of the inflation and the public detests every bit of it. The price growth directly affects the prices of all other commodities- from vegetables to the monthly ration to all other basic amenities of life. Some even say that the fuel prices may just hit a century before Sachin Tendulkar does.With fuel getting costlier and cars coming for a lakh , the common man is going to have a hard time deciding on what he really should do-he may finally have enough money for the car but what about the fuel?
”Is there a fuel loan?” – this might just be the question running through his mind in the near future.
If things continue in the same fashion, we may all have to go back to riding the rustic bullock carts and those majestic chariots again. The Ben Hur Era will come back and the horse baggiwallahs will be back in business. In no time we will be back to the time when no fuel existed. We could just see fuel being auctioned like antique paintings- all of this do seem a scary but the continuous hike in prices cannot stop us from thinking of the worst that could happen.
We would not be surprised if burglars steal cars and return them after siphoning off the petrol. Gifting a gallon of fuel may become a trend, riding bicycles would then be the new fashion statement and the Ferrari’s would lose their shimmer. Children would then change their aims from becoming pilots to bicycle shop owners. Who knows? We may just go back to living like primitives considering the rapid rate at which our natural resources are depleting and the snail speed at which we are making efforts to replenish them. Scientists are busy developing hybrid cars that run on battery but they are high price commodities.The troubles being caused by the sky-rocketing prices go beyond the thousand one-liners in the numerous newspapers and magazines we read. We fret, we complain, we crib but we do accept it in the end. Considering the situation, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that going back to the horse carriages seems like a ‘noble’ idea. The benefits and comforts associated with fuel are inviting but the fact that mounting prices may cause disarray in our easy lives cannot be evaded. Let us just gear up for the calamitous consequences which may come into sight if we have to shell out more cash to commute from our respective houses to the mall than the amount we spent on those branded blue denims we were traveling in the first place for.